Although the music isn’t bad, it isn’t the original music from the game. It is an adaptation that I recommend you listen to on YouTube beforehand, because I found it very different. Only parts of some of the songs were like the original, and to be honest, this ruined it all for me, because I was expecting the songs from Undertale, not Undertale inspired songs. Apart from that, the artwork was very good though, so if that’s all you’re looking for then this is what you need.
I have approximately two decades of piano experience and found these transcriptions to be extremely difficult to read for reasons unrelated to the actual playing difficulty. The linked recordings sound great but the sheet music does a very poor job of providing the overall sound of the pieces. It's so badly transcribed it's almost like a computer listened to the recordings and tried to automatically just write notes in that match the tones.
- It is often unclear which notes are the melody or accompaniment due to poor arranging. Passages often jump between staves in a single musical phrase.
- Notation is all over the place with nonsensical ties and disregard to the stated time signature. Phrasing is poor and melody often jumps between hands without being marked on the paper.
- Instead of modulating to a new key signature when the music requires, the arranger has instead decided to just overuse accidentals, often making a mess of already crowded measures.
- It is unclear which hands play which notes as the flags on notes just seem to go up or down at random in nearly all the transcriptions.
- I have a lot more nitpicks but you get the point.
I have had to make an absurd number of playing notes on this music just to make more sense of it, so I don't recommend it to any beginner. Any intermediate/expert player will instead find this music difficult because of the poor notation quality.
But hey, at least the art is pretty cool.
As an art both of these piano books are great. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous.
As a music book well... The arrangements are incredibly confusing! My piano instructor and I looked at several and upon trying to play them found that they sound almost nothing like the songs in the actual game! I have no idea what this arrangement guy was thinking but this music is just barely Undertale like at best! And at worst is a full page of the same chord over and over again with nothing else. I’m honestly disappointed! I hate leaving a bad review as fangamer has always provided wonderful products and service, but these books are just strange, confusing, and not at all what I expected!
The songs in this book are just beautiful, they did a great work.
David Peacock did a great job! Of course, they are quite difficult to play if you're a beginner in piano but that doesn't mean that you can play them.
Also, the illustrations are just stunning!
Such a great work.
The songs in this book are just perfect! Somehow they took my favorite songs and made them even more great, which I didn’t think was possible. The artwork is stunning, and the music itself is challenging, but not too much. Highly recommend. The songs are just beautiful, perfectly made. I couldn’t ask for better.
Materia Collective's official UNDERTALE Piano arrangement collection was arranged by David Peacock and features a beautiful illustrated cover by Nise.
Add both volumes to your order and save $4!
Volume 1 contains intermediate/advanced piano arrangements of:
- Fallen Down
- Spear of Justice
- It's Raining Somewhere Else
- Uwa!! So Piano
- Death by Glamour
- Another Medium
- Hopes & Dreams ～ SAVE The World ～ His Theme